We arrived in Phnom Penh after lunch and had a free afternoon. We decided to head right out to follow a Phnom Penh Architecture Walking Tour.
We also saw other things along the way, starting with a supposed former colonial residence, now housing the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC):
Legend says that in 1372, an old nun named Lady Penh went to fetch water in the Mekong and found a dead Koki tree (Hopea odorata/Takian) floating down the stream. Inside a hole of the Koki tree were four bronze and one stone Buddha statues. She had people pile up earth behind her house, then used the Koki trunk to build a temple to house the statues. The temple was called Wat Phnom Daun Penh.
Kent with a bamboo naga (seven-headed serpent) head:
Post Office Square also has the former Hotel de la Poste (1890s):
Gerard Depardieu served drinks from behind the bar in the French movie, City of Ghosts.
The Central Post Office was built in 1890:
There is also the former Banque de l'Indochine (late 19th century):
The fowl seem to want to climb in:
The tangle of utility wires is the best we have ever seen!
Streets 130 and 15, almost like New Orleans?
Jean-Michel Filippi, PhD, who teaches at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, and is also studying the ethnic languages in Cambodia. Bravo to Dr. Filippi, because no one else could have kept everyone's attention for a full hour speaking about history!
After dinner, we decided to take a tuk tuk ride to see the holiday lights in Phnom Penh. We were able to share the ride with another couple, Karl & Julie.
The American Embassy:
dian architect Vann Molyvann.
We were able to keep our curfew by returning well before 23:30!
The RV Indochina bartender could pour both our drinks at once: