Saturday, September 6, 2014

Cleveland with Stu & Cher (8/30-9/1/2014)

Saturday, August 30, 2014
Off to the Westside of Cleveland to meet Stuart & Cheryl who are visiting for Labor Day weekend.
Hansa Import Haus, founded by Fritz Dengel in 1957
The business was purchased in 1980 by Boris Music, native of Slovenija, who moved the business to its present location (2717 Lorain Avenue) from across the street.
Hansa Import Haus interior
Westside Market (1912) is Cleveland's oldest public market, designed by architects Benjamin Hubbell and W. Dominick Benes in Neo-Classical-Byzantine style. The 137' clock tower is named for Benjamin Hubbell.
Westside Market from Market Square Park
Façade relief of American eagle with cornucopias of produce
The Westside Market was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Interior ceiling
The produce arcade on two sides of the market was enclosed and heated in 2004.
Neatly displayed produce
Market Square Park.
"By Hand" by muralist Augustina Droze,
overlaid with aluminum strips by artist Mike Moritz

Sunday, August 31, 2014
Back to Lakeview Cemetery and the Wade Chapel.
"The Flight of Souls" (1900) by Louis Comfort Tiffany
in Wade Chapel
Stuart, Kent, and Cheryl
Mosaic floor made with Tiffany glass tiles
While the interior of Wade Chapel was designed by Tiffany, the building itself was designed by architects Benjamin Hubbell and W. Dominick Benes, their first commission.
The Garfield Monument (1890), designed by by architect George Keller.
Statue of President Garfield sculpted by Alexander Doyle
Mosaics in cupola
Stairs to the crypt
University Circle and the Cleveland Botanical Garden from the outside.
"Sprouting Seeds" (2005) by California Artist Troy Corliss
"Psychedelic Relic" by Ann Arnold bicycle planter,
part of the Bikes, Bees & Butterflies Pollinator Habitat Project
Allium ampeloprasum/Leek seed head
Children's Garden kid-sized robin's nest with blue egg seats
We confess we went for lunch at Guarino's Restaurant (1918) in Little Italy only because it had free parking!

The back of the menu stated that they had the most romantic outdoor dining in Cleveland.
Guarino's garden patio
The garden patio still has the trumpet vine brought by the founder, Vincenzo Guarino, from Sicily (unfortunately the roses and grape vines have not survived).
There were two pairs of these shoe planters
After admiring the simplicity of this paper chain,
we found it had a price tag!
A walk in Little Italy.
Former Chiesa San Giovanni
The former St John Beckwith Memorial Church (1907) was an Italian Presbyterian church. Closed in 1962, it now is sub-divided into commercial condos.
Italia Building at 2063 Murray Hill Road
Murray Hill Market at 2072 Murray Hill Road
The Murray Hill Market started as the Paul Lorienzo's Market about 1922. Some of the old ambiance remains.
Murray Hill Market candy bins
Upstairs at the Murray Hill Market
The former Murray Hill School (1907) at 2026 Murray Hill Road,
now Murray Hill Galleries with apartments in the annex
Tenements behind 12108 Mayfield Road
The Mayfield Building at 12208 Mayfield Road
Courtyard of Pennello Gallery at 12407 Mayfield Road
Next stop, League Park on Lexington Avenue and East 66th Street. It opened in 1891 and was home to the Cleveland Indians and site of many baseball milestones. Most of the park was demolished in 1951, with only the ticket office and section of wall remaining. A new baseball field and a museum established in renovated building were dedicated 8/23/2014.
Remnants of original League Park
Stuart and Kent at the gate of the new League Park
Remnant wall

Monday, September 1, 2014
Stuart and Cheryl went off to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on their own. We met them for a late lunch, then headed to a Cleveland Indians game at Progressive Field.
Artist rendering of Cleveland on a guitar sculpture,
Tower City
Statue of Bob Feller at Progressive Field

Saturday, September 6, 2014
A walk at Beachwood City Park West, for 1.1 miles!
Solidago sp/Goldenrod reflection

No comments: