Saturday, April 4, 2015

Bedford, OH (4/3/2015)

Friday, April 3, 2015
We went to breakfast at Megan's Family Restaurant in Bedford, OH, and noted the historic town commons. Bedford was originally part of Bedford Township in the Western Reserve of the Connecticut Land Company, surveyed in 1797. In 1951, several villages split off from Bedford.
Around the Bedford Commons:
Bedford Railroad Depot
The railroad station was originally built in 1882 for the Connotton Valley Railroad. It subsequently had several other owners, but has been restored as a 1920s passenger station of the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Historic Business District in 2004.
Elmer Flick Memorial
Elmer Flick (1876-1971) is an inductee in the National Baseball Hall of Fame who was born and died in Bedford. He played for the Philadelphia Phillies, the Philadelphia Athletics, and the Cleveland Naps. He led the National League in RBIs in 1900, and led the American League in stolen bases in 1904 and 1906, and in batting average in 1905. He was inducted in the Hall of fame in 1963. The statue was created by Ron Dewey, and the memorial was unveiled in 2013.
World War II-Korea-Vietnam Memorial (dedicated in 1951, and 1979)
Civil War Memorial (1886)
World War I Veterans Memorial
Old Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church was built in 1892, designed by Jacob Snyder, in Early Gothic Revival style.
It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, and is now part of the Bedford Historical Society Museum.
Town Hall
The Town Hall was built in 1874 in Second Empire style. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and is now the main home of the Bedford Historical Society Museum.
Town Hall detail
Split horse post
WWII M5A1 Stuart Light Tank
Bedford Commons Clock (1996)
Archibald M Willard Memorial
Archibald M Willard was a painter who was born in Bedford. He is known for the painting "The Spirit of '76."
Hezekiah Dunham House
The Hezekiah Dunham House, a brick Georgian mansion, was built in 1832 by one of the early settlers, whose family donated the land for the Commons. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Historic Business District (1891-1929)

Saturday, April 4, 2015
In Shaker Heights, a sign of spring:
Yellow crocuses
A year-round bloomer, the "Trumpet Flower"
(2012) by Michael Moritz
Philco advertisement on the old hardware store
We discovered a hidden cemetery, the Warrensville West Cemetery on Lee Road.
1949 tablet marking the final resting place of the North Union Society Shakers
Sunken grave marker?
A grave marker fell back and is being overtaken
Handshake marker
Civil War casualty
Knittel grave marker for Sylvester
and his wife, Katherine
The cemetery is the oldest landmark in Shaker Heights, and the second oldest cemetery in Cuyahoga County. The first burial was in 1811, a member of the Warren family, who first settled in the area and when joined by relatives, Warrensville Township developed. In 1826, the first of the immigrants from the Isle of Man arrived. By the 1900s, half the the graveyard population were Manxmen. In 1909, the remains of 89 Shakers were relocated here.

No comments: