Brynne had an all-day seminar to attend tomorrow, so we decided to make s small trip out of it.
Headed down I-71, and the first stop was the diner in an old train, the Buckeye Express Diner at 810 State Route 97 in Bellville, OH. We were too early for lunch, so missed all the OSU (Ohio State University) memorabilia!
|Buckeye Express Diner|
|Tamiko at the cottonwood tree (PBB)|
|The Hanby House|
On the grounds was a boulder that was not indigenous to the area and assumed to have been brought from Canada by the Wisconsin Glacier during the last Ice Age.
|Otterbein University Cardinals stadium|
|115 University Street (1915)|
|181 W Walnut Street (1914)|
|116 S Grove Street,|
bought in 1925 by Clarence Bargdill,
the Temperance Row handyman
|109 S Grove Street (1912)|
|101 S Grove Street (1910),|
home of Milo Kelser who worked in
the ASLA lecture department for 15 years
|79 S Grove Street (1910),|
now an Otterbein University Greek house!
|58 (1916) and 68 S Grove Street,|
one of the oldest houses in the district
|67 S Grove Street (c 1923)|
|131 W Park Street (1910), home of the general superintendent,|
Purley Baker and his wife Lillie,
became the ASLA library in 1924
|141 W Park Street (1940), the Cellar House,|
apparently donated to Otterbein University in 1954
|The Flats, 37-47 University Street (1917)|
|Old garage at 60 University Street|
|21 Elmwood Place (1912),|
home of Robert W Moran, ASLA field agent
|87 University Street (1922),|
home of Jeptha Caris, accountant for
ASLA's American Issue Publishing Company
Our next stop in Westerville was the Inniswood Metro Gardens at 940 S Hempstead Road. Well-maintained gardens situated in a 123-acre nature preserve, it was once the 37-acre estate of the sisters Grace and Mary Innis, who donated their home and property to the Franklin County Metro Parks in 1972. Admission is free!
|Inniswood Metro Gardens entrance|
|Boardwalk Trail through a beech and maple forest|
|Woodland Rock Garden|
|Spinal Column carving|
|Ohio History Center|
An exhibit on the 1950s featured a prefabricated enameled steel Lustron home, developed during the housing shortage with the return of GIs from World War II, constructed at a plant in Columbus.
|Thor Automagic clothes washer and dishwasher combo|
|Ohio History Center and the King Bowstring Bridge|
|Street scene in Ohio Village|
|Village School House and outhouses|
|White Castle exhibit|
Next door at the Ohio State Fairgrounds is the big Northern Cardinal, state bird of Ohio.
|Cardinal statue (1986, replacing the 1957 statue)|
Next: Roadside America Columbus, OH II.