Ah, some sun! After today's breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express, we left Zanesville and followed the Muskingum River south on OH-60. Lots of small houses and trailers along the river, with docks with fishing and pontoon boats.
A stop in McConnelsville, OH, the county seat of Morgan County.
|Opera House (1889) with a theater that has been in continuous use since 1890|
|Opera House doorway|
|Civil War Monument (dedicated 1923) was|
donated by industrialist T H Simpson, and
sits on a granite block from Gettysburg, PA
|J C Bolen Block (1884)|
|Adams House (1820)|
|Morgan County Courthouse (1858 in Greek Revival style)|
|Morris Hardware Store (1845)|
|Windlass or Crab Winch (used from 1840-1880s)|
was hand cranked to open or close the gates of the lock
|Lock #7 is still used by pleasure boats|
to bypass the McConnel Dam
|Big Bottom Massacre Memorial,|
near Stockport, OH
After the American Revolutionary War, the government raised funds by selling land to the west of the Appalachian Mountains. Entities like the Ohio Company of Associates bought 1,500,000 acres in the Northwest Territory to develop in an orderly fashion. However, in 1790, some company members moved to the bottom land/flood plain of the Muskingum River, beyond the Ohio Company property. The Lenape and Wyandot tribes were already resistant to the reduction of their territory, and attacked the unfinished blockhouse at Big Bottom, killing nearly half the settlers. This and other skirmished led to the Northwest Indian War, which ended in 1794 and the Greenville Treaty in 1795.
When we arrived in Marietta, OH, we looked for a place to eat. There was very little open downtown, but Emanuel's Restaurant and Bakery was a surprising find.
The Ohio River Museum exhibits the vast collection of the Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen.
We were taken on a guided tour of the W P Snyder, Jr, the last intact steam-powered "pool-type" stern-wheeled towboat in the United States, sitting out on the Muskingum River. It was built in 1918 and towed coal barges on the Monongahela River until 1953. In 1955 it was "sold" (for a dollar) to the Ohio Historical Society.
The ship carried 18-23 people, including females: the cook and two maids.
|Started with hummus with mushrooms and a "pillow" pita;|
note the Middle Eastern metal cup
|We shared empanadas (with a sweet chili sauce) and piccadillo;|
|Lockmaster's House (1899) served the|
adjacent locks of the Muskingum River
(the locks and dam were removed in 1968) (KSS)
|Relic from the Spanish American War (1898)|
|Front Street in Marietta, OH|
|Shantyboat, a one-room house flatboat (1920s-1930s)|
|Interior of the shantyboat|
|Oldest pilothouse of the Tell City (1889),|
which sank in 1917 and the pilothouse was
rescued and used as a summer house
until donated around 1977
|The utility poles by the building are cut at|
differing heights to show flood levels
|Ohio River Museum|
|Kent with the largest steamboat sternwheeler model, the Pioneer|
|Perhaps the model maker with another of his creations (KSS)|
|More steamboat models|
|The engineer's domain|
|The laundry room|
|The cook was special, getting her own room and a bigger bed|
|A shower, toilet and sinks at each end of the ship,|
and a bathroom with tub in the center for women only
|Pilothouse where the ship could be steered with the helm/wheel|
or two steam-powered handles
|The smokestacks are hinged and can be lowered|
when passing under low bridges