Taking advantage of crisp, sunny weather to find more "VIP" grave markers in Lake View Cemetery.
|John Crowell (1801-1883)|
|Someone gave Julia Louise a scarf (KSS)|
|Lycurgus L Marshall (1888-1958)|
|John D Marshall (1885-1961)|
|Edward Blythin (1884-1958)|
|Theodatus Garlick (1805-1884)|
|John Strong Newberry (1822-1892) (oops, wrong grave marker!)|
During the Civil War, Newberry was elected a member of the United States Sanitary Commission, in charge of supplying hospitals and military facilities. In 1866 he was appointed professor of geology and paleontology at the Columbia School of Mines (later Columbia University) where he started a collection of specimens to create a museum. He became the state geologist of Ohio in 1869 and was awarded the Murchison Medal of the Geological Society of London in 1888. Newberry Crater, Oregon (now in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument) was named in his honor in 1903.
|The Newberry monument is dedicated to 1st Lieutenant|
Roger Cleveland Newberry of the United States Army Air Force
who was shot down in North Africa during World War II
|Adella Prentiss Hughes (1869-1950)|
She founded the Musical Arts Association in 1915, and created the Cleveland Orchestra three years later. With the orchestra needing its own concert space, Hughes raised enough funds not only to build a concert hall (Severance Hall), but also to establish an endowment for the maintenance of the building.
|Hmm, the pen forest is growing at Harvey Pekar's grave marker!|
|Samuel Andrews (1836-1904)|
Samuel Andrews was born in England and arrived in Cleveland in 1857, where he invested $4,000 in an oil refinery with John D Rockefeller and Maurice B Clark. Andrews is credited with inventing the chemical process called fractional distillation, which is the separation of crude oil into its components. With his technical expertise and Rockefeller's financing and marketing, the company grew into Standard Oil. After a falling out in 1874, Andrews sold his interest in the company to Rockefeller for $1 million. He used his fortune to build one of Cleveland's largest mansions (1885), nicknamed "Andrews' Folly" because of its poor design and costly maintenance. He abandoned the property in 1898 and it was razed in 1923.