Today ends the Elegant Elbe cruise/land tour, and it was time to check out of the InterContinental.
I had planned to head straight out of the hotel, cross the street, and walk a few blocks to Lützowplatz to catch a bus that would take us to our new hotel without transfers. When Program Director Michael heard our plans, he said, "Oh, yes, you can catch that bus up on Kurfürstenstraße. It's a double-decker!" Well, we trudged to Kurfürstenstraße, and the bus stop did not indicate our bus number. We continued on to An der Urania/Schillstrasse to find the proper bus stop, having walked about twice as far as planned. Yes, it was a double-decker!
|Balancing Man/Balanceakt (2009,|
by Stephan Balkenhol)
|Entrance to Hotel LebensQuelle|
|Entrance to Adina Apartment Hotel|
(they have their own bear!)
|St Gertrude's Bridge/Gertraudenbrücke (1895-1896, by Otto Stahn);|
unfortunately the statue of St Gertrude and the rats was not there
|Gallows House/Galgenhaus (1688), now a gallery|
|Virgin Bridge/Jungfernbrücke (1798), the oldest bridge in Berlin|
|What's this in the canal that once was a moat?|
|A prototype water filtering barge|
|A mini-lock next to a small weir|
After World War II, the East German government demolished the burned out ruins of the Berlin Palace and built the Palace of the Republic (1973-1976), which housed the parliament of East Germany. That building was torn down in 2008 in preparation for the reconstruction of the Berlin Palace. Actually it will be only three sides of the original palace, while the interior and a fourth side will be brand new. It will house museums, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
|Building Academy/Bauakademie (1832-1836,|
by Karl Friedrich Schinkel), demolished in 1962
to make way for the East German Ministry of
Foreign Affairs which was then torn down in 1995)
|Kent discovered that this was not the typical|
screen covered scaffolding (KSS)
In 2000-2001, students built a temporary structure to show the size and form of the Bauakademie, with one corner in brick. Still today, they have not decided what to do with the space.
After the Spree River cruise, we walked over to Hackescher Markt, thinking to find things to eat at the places the Viking Taste of Berlin optional tour visited.
|But there is a Schinkelplatz, where workers|
fine tune a sculpture under that of Karl
Friedrich Schinkel (1869, by Friedrich Drake)
|Old National Gallery/Alte Nationalgalerie (1867-1876, by|
Friedrich August Stüler, rebuilt 1949-1969) was built with brick and iron
to be fireproof for its collection of contemporary art of the time
|Diesterweg Memorial (1990, by Robert Metzkes)|
for Adolph Diesterweg, an educator who
campaigned for the secularization of schools
|Our Berlin Passes provided a free ride on the BWSG boat|
for its one-hour tour up and down the Spree River
|...which meant we could afford drinks!|
|Arcades under the street for only one block|
near the Ephraim Palace
|Renaissance style building at #8 Schifferbauerdamm|
|There is something shiny and neon green inside the|
Paul-Löbe-Haus federal office building (KSS)
|Someone waving from a ladder? (KSS)|
|Bode Museum (1905, by Ernst von Ihne) is home|
for a collection of sculptures, Byzantine art, and coins and medals
|Oh, those eyes are spooky!|
|Sewer cover showing the way to the TV Tower|
|Hackescher Markt S-Bahn station (1882, by|
Johannes Vollmer in Italian Renaissance style)
is one of only two stations preserved in their
|Courtyard #1 is the Endellscher Hof, designed by|
the Art Nouveau artist and architect August Endell,
decorated with polychrome glazed bricks
|Courtyard #5 has a large chestnut tree surrounded by a sand "box"|
|In courtyard #7, the EAT Berlin shop had some mustards, sauces and|
dressings, and pesto; we would really have to piece together a meal!
|Rosenhöfe Art Nouveau entrance|
|Some new beers|
|Currywurst with fries, plus mayo and sauerkraut|
|Berliner Bouletten, like breaded meatloaf burgers,|
with chopped almonds and mustard, and potato salad
After lunch, it was time to head to the museums.
Next: Berlin 2b.