Sunday, January 15, 2017

Ohio City II (1/15/2017)

Sunday, January 15, 2017
It was sunny and above freezing, so we decided to continue the Ohio City tour.
The Ohio City section of Cleveland is home to the renowned West Side Market, the oldest continuously operating municipally owned market, and the only one remaining of three in the city.
West Side Market (1910-1912, designed by
W Dominick Benes and Benjamin Hubbell)
at W 25th Street and Lorain Avenue
Market Square across W 25th Street from the West Side Market,
was so designated in 1840, and in 1868 the Pearl Street Market
was built on this site; the West Side Market replaced
the smaller wooden market building of Pearl Street Market
The United Banking & Trust Company Building (1925,
designed by Walker and Weeks in Classical style)
is cross Lorain Avenue from Market Square;
this bank did not survive the 1929 stock market crash
(The first three photos were taken 1/8/2017, but it was a cold and windy day!)
Greetings from Cleveland mural (2015) by Victor Ving,
who has done other vintage postcard-inspired murals in other cities;
on Chatham Avenue at W 25th Street
We noticed hats and scarves, mittens and gloves
tied on fences, utility poles and sign posts
all throughout Ohio City (KSS)
Apparently a Cub Scout pack from St Jude School in Elyria, OH
collected these items to be left for those in need (KSS)
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (1873),
at 2031 W 30th Street, is known for its
1956 Beckerath Organ, made in Hamburg, Germany
The Breen Center for the Performing Arts (2009),
at 2008 W 30th Street, is part of St Ignatius High School
Entrance to St Ignatius High School at 1911 W 30th Street,
a college-preparatory school founded by the Jesuits in 1886
The school originally offered a seven-year course of study leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. In 1902, the high school and college separated, and in 1935 the college, now named John Carroll University, moved to University Heights. St Ignatius High School remained at its original location.
St Mary of the Assumption Chapel (1998, designed by
Ron Payto) was funded by a 1936 graduate, Jerry Murphy
Loyola Hall (1895 as the St Mary's Elementary School)
now houses the History Department
This statue (2001) is a gift of the
 Loyola Society Mothers Club in honor of
Fr Robert J Welsh, former president of St Ignatius HS
The Main Building (1890) of St Ignatius High School
Main Entrance (KSS)
St Ignatius Kyle Field, named for the football coach, Chuck Kyle
Tanks of the Great Lakes Brewing Company (1988), one of the first
businesses to invest in the Ohio City neighborhood;
now there are at least five craft breweries in Ohio City
The Music Settlement received the donation of the Bop Stop building
(2920 Detroit Avenue) in 2013, ensuring its expansion to the West Side
The Music Settlement was founded in 1912 to provide musical training for newly arrived immigrants and their children. The have now added a music therapy program, and community preschool and kindergarten music classes.
Jim Mahon Green, a small park for watching sunsets and
July 4th fireworks; (I can't figure out who Jim Mahon was...)
A Creative Fusion photomural (2016) by
Donald Black, Jr, on the Van Rooy Building (1895)
at 2900 Detroit Avenue
Another Creative Fusion mural (2016) by Joe Lanzilotta;
on Church Avenue at W 29th Street
A 3,000-plant living wall that is irrigated by storm runoff water;
also on Church Avenue across W 29th Street from the above mural;
it must look better in the summer!

No comments: