Sunday, August 30, 2020

South Delaware County, PA (8/30/2020)

Sunday, August 30, 2020
Delaware County, PA was created in 1789 when Chester County was divided. The city of Chester was the county seat of Chester County, then became the county seat of Delaware County. The current county seat is Media, PA. The area of Delaware County was the first part of what was to become Pennsylvania to be settled by Europeans.
First, Upland, PA:
Cheshire House (1716), named for the county in England
from where most of the Society of Friends/Quakers came
John P Crozer II Mansion (1879-1880, in Victorian Gothic and
Queen Anne styles, made almost entirely of California redwood)
John P Crozer II, in cotton manufacturing and a director of the Delaware County Trust Company, was the grandson of John P Crozer. 
Caleb Pusey House (1683, constructed of handmade bricks) is
the only building still standing which can claim documented
association with William Penn, who visited on several occasions
Caleb Pusey had come to Pennsylvania in 1682 to serve Penn as manager and agent for the Chester Mills, the first official Proprietary saw and grist mill to be established by Penn in the colony.
Caleb Pusey House detail of brick and stonework (KSS)
Pennock Log Cabin (1790 in Springfield Township, moved
here in 1965) was built by Caleb Pusey's great great granddaughter,
Lydia Jackson Pennock, and William Pennock
Crozer Schoolhouse (1847 or 1849) was provided by John P Crozer,
one of his many philanthropic endeavors
Old Main (1857-1858, as Upland Normal Institute to house
and educate the children of the poor, by John P Crozer)
The Upland Normal Institute closed in 1861 due to scarlet fever, then smallpox, that decimated faculty and students. From 1862-1865, the building served as a hospital treating wounded soldiers from both the Union and the Confederacy. From 1865-1868 it was leased by the Pennsylvania Military Academy. The descendants of John P Crozer established the Crozer Theological Seminary in 1868.
"Martin Luther King, Jr., minister and civil rights leader, attended Crozer Theological Seminary where he earned his Bachelor of Divinity degree. King’s three years (1948-1951) at Crozer were a key period in shaping his philosophy of nonviolent social change for which he later became a Nobel Peace Prize honoree in 1964." 
In 1970, the seminary closed and merged with the Rochester Theological Seminary in Rochester, New York. The seminary buildings were then used by Crozer Hospital, which started as a home for incurables (1898) and a hospital (1902) endowed by J Lewis Crozer. Crozer Hospital grew into the Crozer-Chester Medical Center.
Back to the Crozer Seminary campus:
Pearl Hall (1871 as the library) is constructed of serpentine stone (KSS)
Davis House (1881)
Vedder House (1887)
Crozer Arboretum/Crozer Garden: quote from
"The gardens have a gardenesque character."
We had not brought our machetes to clear the path to Chester Creek
A pond is surrounded by fencing
Plaque for the Leona Gold Garden, part of
Crozer Arboretum created by her husband, Dr Herman Gold
Evans House (1890)
Pollard House (1868) (KSS)
President's House (1868)
Next: Chester, PA:
Chester Court House (1724) is said to be the oldest
public building still standing in the United States
Chester National Bank Building (c 1814) (KSS)
Gas street light? (KSS)
Former Delaware County National Bank (1882-1884,
by Patrick A Welsh in Renaissance Revival style)
Penn Landing Historical Marker (KSS)
Penn Landing Monument (1882, by John Struthers)
Penn Landing marker with the Penn family coat of arms
Atlas Obscura notes: "a block south from the park places the actual landing site along the railroad grade on the Delaware River, in an industrial waste site of the Kimberley-Clark plant on the waterfront. Thus, William Penn would have landed for the first time in the province of Pennsylvania on what is now a toilet paper factory."
Next: Essington, PA: 
Governor Printz Park with replica dwellings representing
New Gothenburg, the new capital of New Sweden that
Governor Johan Printz had moved from Fort Christina
(in the area of Wilmington, DE) in 1643
In 1655 Sweden gave up its attempts to colonize in the New World after the Dutch took over all their forts/settlements.
Governor Printz Park horseshoe courts
A pleasant Sunday afternoon on the Delaware River
Statue of Governor Johan Printz (1972, by Carl Lindborg)
Game board with quotes from letters of New Sweden
One of the game board "spaces" (KSS)
We planned on visiting the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge, but it was closed due to storm damage.
Next: Norwood, PA.
Colonial style split rail fence
Morton Morton House (c 1750) is located at the
confluence of the Muckinipattis Creek and Darby Creek
Morton Morton was first cousin to John Morton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Brick design detail
View from the Morton Morton House of Darby Creek and
across to the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge (KSS)
Finally, Prospsect Park, PA:
Morton Mortenson or Mortonson Homestead (established c 1654,
rock-cut foundation, and from  dated c 1666, north end c 1698, 
south end in early 1700s, and center section c 1798) is considered
to be the oldest man-made structure in Pennsylvania and for a time
was the ferry house for the Darby Creek Ferry
Morton Mortonsen was born in Finland, which at the time was part of Sweden, and arrived in New Sweden about 1654. He was the great grandfather of John Morton, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Tyler Arboretum Dismal Run Trail (8/26/2020)

Wednesday, August 26, 2020
At Tyler Arboretum in Media, PA, Dismal Run Trail is 1.9 miles long with a fairly steady downhill, then a similar uphill incline, not too steep. It may not matter if you hike clockwise or counterclockwise. We went counterclockwise.
An orange bench indicates you are near the orange trail gate
through the deer fence of Tyler Arboretum
Dismal Run Trail/orange trail gate
Oops! We ended up at the pink trail gate,
but found the Member Scavenger Hunt bug
You were supposed to photograph yourself with the bug
Early sign of autumn, a Sassafras albidum leaf
Dismal Trail Run with open sunny areas
An autumn Liriodendron tulipifera/Tulip Tree leaf
Tulip Trees in the Dismal Run valley, they are
are among the tallest native trees of eastern US
Ruins of an 18C stone cottage, apparently named Valley Cottage
Took a side trip up Minshall Trail to see more ruins
Is that a mailbox, or a drainpipe, or what? (KSS)
Another side trip to Dismal Run and a bridge that washed away? (KSS)
Unidentified lichen or fungus (KSS)
A burl profile with a big nose and bushy eyebrows
Dismal Run Trail glimpse of Dismal Run
Hard-to-see fencing encircling... what?
Dismal Run
Animal tracks, deer and maybe raccoon
Graffiti tree
Grifola frondosa/Hen of the Woods
Autumn Fagus sp/Beech Tree leaf
We found another group of three nesting boxes near the
Meadow Maze in Tyler Arboretum
Very tall Ambrosia trifida/Giant Ragweed (KSS)
Sculptural Rhododendron (KSS)
Rhus copallina/Winged or Shining Sumac (KSS)
Sorry! Should have the sidewalk as background
to show the dead branch suspended from the
Hyphantria cunea/Fall Webworm web
Hyphantria cunea/Fall Webworm web; note the worms (KSS)
Nearby is the Honeycomb UAME Church; in 1852 the African-
American community purchased the property for $15 and built
a church that was a main stop on the Underground Railroad
Since at the time African-Americans could not own property, it was likely purchased in the name of the church. Secret code books were found in the church attic, which reportedly kept track of details of harboring of slaves and illegal land purchases by Blacks. However, the secret code has not been decrypted.
Another stop on the Underground Railroad was Minshall Painter's farm, now Tyler Arboretum.