Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Wilkes-Barre, PA North Tour (9/22/2020)

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 (continued)
We crossed Market Street to start the North Tour of Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Spring Brook Water Supply Company Building
(1910, by Welsh, Sturdevant & Poggi in
Neoclassical Revival style)
Masonic Temple façade
Irem Temple (1907-1908, by F Willard Puckey in
Moorish Revival style as the Shriner auditorium
Irem Temple façade
First United Methodist Church (1883, by Bruce Price
with elements of French Gothic and Romanesque styles) 
First United Methodist Church portal;
the building no longer functions as a church
Kirby Health Center Annex (1883, by Bruce Price
for his aunt in Queen Anne style)
Kirby Memorial Health Center (1930, by Thomas Atherton)
Pennsylvania Millers Mutual Insurance Company (1935,
in Art Moderne style with Colonial revival motifs)
Beaumont Block (1893, by Albert H Kipp)
Beaumont Block detail (KSS)
Stickney Block (1887, by William W Neuer
with Gothic Palladian elements)
Dickson Row (1904, by Albert H Kipp)
King's College Administration Building (1913,
by Daniel H Burnham as headquarters of
Lehigh Valley Coal Company
Valiant Veteran (1988, by Gerhard F Baut) of
the Luzerne County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Luzerne County Korean War Memorial (1992) includes
a memorial to the local soldiers who died in a train crash
at Coshocton, OH on 9/11/1950
Cast iron deer (c 1850s) from Public Square
Anchors from the USS Wilkes-Barre, a cruiser
launched in 1943 and served in the Pacific
Luzerne County Court House (1909, by F J Osterling
in Beaux Arts style)
Our Lady of Fatima Blessed Grotto (1960)
Memorial Presbyterian Church (1872, by
Edward Kendall in Gothic Revival style) (KSS)
This church is now the Chapel of Christ the King at King's College. It was locked up, so we could not see the three Tiffany stained glass windows, nor the anthracite altar (1954) carved by the African-American coal sculptor C Edgar Patience.
American Song (1988, by Eric V Parks) is
dedicated to King's College Glee Club
Director, Bronis Voveris
Polish Union Building (1936, by Joseph E Fronczak
in Art Deco style)
Blue Cross Operations Center (1946, by
L Vern Lacy and Thomas Atherton for
Wyoming Valley Veterans in International style)
A local pointed out the former warehouse of Boscov's
New and old James M Coughlin High School
(1912, by Owen McGlynn in Beaux Arts style)
Former electric utility building was later home
of the Wilkes-Barre Press Club and hosted
visits by President William Howard Taft
and Admiral Robert Peary
Quad Three Group (1925, by Schmitt & Schroeder as
the Fraternal Order of Eagles Lodge - note eagle near top)
After lunch, we were back on the south side of Wilkes-Barre.
Boscov's Department Store: in 1980 Boscov's bought
Fowler, Dick & Walker/The Boston Store chain
Wilkes University Sordoni Art Gallery was
holding a "Drawn to Abstraction Exhibition"
Blue Disc on Green Ground (1966, by Adolph Gottlieb)
Sunrise (1965, by Roy Lichtenstein)
Interactive art After "Fenice"
(2020, by Piero Dorazio)
Plate IX, Album 13 (1948, by Joan Miró)
Untitled (1966, by Robert Motherwell)
Tamiko in the feminist display (KSS)
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church (1845)
is the oldest church in Wilkes-Barre
St Nicholas German Catholic Church (1887, by
William Schickel in High Victorian Gothic style)
M J McLaughlin Company (1928 as a purpose-
built funeral service facility that remains
the principal business location today)
St Mary's Roman Catholic Church (1872, by E F Durang
with a Baroque façade)
Pennsylvania Labor & Industry Building (2005) incorporates
two terra-cotta relief figures that were salvaged from the
International Ladies’ Garment Workers Union Health Center
Terra-cotta heroic figure of a garment worker
The second terra-cotta heroic figure
Wilkes-Barre City Hall (1893, by
William E Neuer and Benjamin Davey, Jr
in a combination of architectural styles)
Stegmaier Federal Building (1890-1913
as the Stegmaier Brewing Company)
Lehigh & Susquehanna Railroad Station (1868,
in Victorian Italianate style) was used by the
Central Railroad of New Jersey until 1972
Before leaving Wilkes-Barre, a stop to see Roadside America:
Three-O-Nina, who has stood along Highway 309 since 1967
Now we finished driving across Pennsylvania to Shaker Heights, OH.
Next: Acacia Reservation Wildflowers.

Wilkes-Barre, PA South Tour (9/22/2020)

Tuesday, September 22, 2020
After checking out of the Fairfield Inn & Suites, with prepackaged breakfast buns, we first crossed the Susquehanna River to Wyoming, PA.
Roadside America: Queen Esther's Bloody Rock where the
legend is that Esther Montour, angered by her son's death at the
Battle of Wyoming, lined up 14-16 American colonist
prisoners and smashed their skulls with a tomahawk
Wyoming Monument stands over the remains
of those who died on July 3, 1778 at the Battle
of Wyoming or the Wyoming Massacre
The Iroquois/Seneca remained loyal to England during the American Revolution and laid in ambush when British troops in the Wyoming River valley met a line of patriot soldiers. The Seneca then attacked in close combat, and it is said they later hunted down survivors to torture and kill them.
The monument lists all those who were slain,
as well as those who survived; as most able-bodied
men had left the area to fight the war, the
defending patriots were mostly the youth and elderly
Wilkes-Barre, PA has quite an extensive walking tour. We started at Public Square that is actually situated like a diamond!
F M Kirby Center for the Performing Arts
(1937, by Charles A Ryan as Comerford Theater
in Art Deco-Moderne style) is named for
Fred Kirby, founder of a 5- and 10-cent store that
rivaled, then merged with F W Woolworth & Company
Luzerne Bank Building (1928-1930, by Bertram
Cunyngham  in Neo-Romanesque style) is the
tallest building in the Wyoming Valley
First National Bank (1906, by Albert H Kipp
in Neoclassical Revival style)
Public Square The Flood Beast (1977, by Peter Bohlin) (KSS)
No Place Like Home (1977, by Jan Conway)
Congressman Daniel J Flood Memorial
Congressman Flood served in the United States House of Representatives for 31 years, but had to resign due to a bribery conviction. Beloved by his constituents, he played "a key role in establishing national programs such as Medicare, Appalachian urban economic development, and Coal Mine Health and Safety Act. He promoted the strength of US military forces and proliferation of nuclear arms during the Cold War."
Wilkes-Barre Monument for the namesakes of
the city, John Wilkes and Isaac Barré, members
of British Parliament who were sympathetic
to the cause of American Independence
Plaques in Public Square make note of various "firsts," and
includes Wilkes-Barre as the Birthplace of HBO in 1972 (KSS)
Old Ship Zion Church bell (1811) was the
first known church bell in Luzerne County
and is now displayed in the location
of the original church bell tower
Christopher Columbus Memorial (1992) is
all cleaned up after being vandalized in June;
there has been talk of renaming the statue after
Amerigo Vespucci (since all Italians look alike?)
Chamber Building (1895, by P J Lauritzen for a department store)
PNC Building (1908, by McCormick & French)
Citizen's Bank Center (1911, by Daniel Burnham)
Wyoming National Bank (1914, by McCormick & French)
Hotel Sterling (1897) is totally missing!
Market Street Bridge (1929, by Carrere & Hastings)
Guard Center (1909, by Welsh, Sturdevant & Poggi
for the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company,
in Neoclassical Revival style)
Guard Center lamp post (KSS)
Chapman Hall (1911, by Welsh, Sturdevant & Poggi, as a
residence for coal baron Frederick Huber, in Craftsman style
McClintock Law Offices (1840s, in Italianate style)
McClintock Hall (1941, remodeled in 1863
by Calvert Vaux and F C Withers to become the
first High Victorian Gothic house in Wilkes-Barre)
Sterling Hall (1860, by Samuel Sloan for banker
Walter Sterling, in Italianate style)
All the mansions that are now "Halls" belong to Wilkes University (1933).
Rifkin Hall (1875, by Bruce Price in High Victorian Gothic
style) was once the home of Colonel Robert B Ricketts,
a hero from the Battle of Gettysburg
Catlin Hall (1843, in Greek Revival style)
Weiss Hall (1850 in Greek Revival style, remodeled in 1866
by Albert H Kipp in Queen Anne style)
River Common along the Susquehanna River (KSS)
Conyngham Hall (1897, by Charles Gifford in Chateauesque style)
Chase Hall (1917-1918 in Tudor Revival style)
Kirby Hall (1872, by F C Withers) was purchased
by F M Kirby of Woolworth & Company) in 1905
Bedford Hall (1878, by Bruce Price in High Victorian Gothic style)
Temple Israel (1925, by Ralph M Herr,
with Byzantine Revival elements)
Congregation Ohav Zedek (1930, by Austin Reilly
in Moorish Revival style) (KSS)
Max Roth Center (1895, by J H W Hawkins)
has H H Richardson-inspired rusticated walls
Max Roth Center also has a Louis Sullivan inspired frieze
Weckesser Hall (1916, by C H P Gilbert in Chateauesque style)
Mary (& George) Stegmaier Mansion (1911, by
Knapp & Bosworth for a descendant of the
Stegmaier brewing family, in Colonial Revival style)
Grand Portico of the Mary Stegmaier Mansion
Luzerne County Medical Society Auditorium (1914, by
Brice Hayden Long, based loosely on Rome's Pantheon)
Later, we had this view of the "Pantheon" from S Main Street
Moses & Gelso Law Offices (1907, by
Olds & Puckey in Beaux Arts style)
First Presbyterian Church (1889, by
James Cleveland Cady in Romanesque style
using Laurel Run redstone)
YMCA (1934, by Thomas Foster in Historical Eclecticism,
modeled after a medieval palace in Florence, Italy)
YMCA doorway (KSS)
Osterhout Free Library (1848, in Gothic Revival style as
the First Presbyterian Church until 1889)
Bishop Memorial Library (c 1875, by Willis Hale
in late Italian Villa style with Queen Anne revisions)
St Stephen's Episcopal Pro-Cathedral (1896,
by Charles M Burns modeled after Gothic
churches of Northern Italy)
Next: Wilkes-Barre North Tour.