Took a walk to see if we could circumnavigate a couple more Shaker Lakes in Shaker Heights, OH.
|The aptly (unfortunately) named Green Lake as seen from|
Parkland Road; houses on S Woodland Road line the opposite shore
|Green Lake from Andover Road bridge over Doan Brook/South Branch|
|A boxwood edged garden on S Woodland Road|
|At Lee Road and Shaker Boulevard is Shaker Gateway Park,|
the Site of the Center Family of the
North Union Society of Shakers (1822-1889),
with a replica (1951) of the original Shaker gate
The Shaker family is a unit where members lived as brothers and sisters in homes in agriculturally based communities. In fact, the people were celibate, and recruited new members or took in orphans and runaways who could decide at age 21 whether to leave or stay. Because re-population was difficult, the North Union Shaker settlement was closed in 1889, and the remaining members moved to other Shaker communities.
The land was sold eventually to the Van Sweringen brothers who developed Shaker Heights, and the first village school (1912-1914) and first village hall (1911-1931) were located at this site.
|Shaker well (?) with Gus and Kent|
|Sedgewick Road homes were fronted by "soccer fields"|
|Clematis terniflora/Sweet Autumn Clematis (invasive)|
|Shell fungus on the ground becomes a full circle|
|Marshall Lake was generally surrounded by homes,|
seen here from S Woodland Road
|Another peek at Marshall Lake|
from Parkland Road
|Back at Green Lake from Parkland Road|