Friday, January 5, 2024
Taking a couple days to go to Metro DC to see Erich & Laura, Arya, Pete and Dylan.
 |
Lock House (1840) is located near the mouth of the Susquehanna River at the Chesapeake Bay
|
 |
A pivot bridge over the remains of the last lock (1839) of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal (1836-1840) |
 |
We followed the Joe K Loop Trail, first following along the Susquehanna River, with the US-40 Thomas J Hatem Bridge (1938-1940) |
 |
Passing below the US-40 bridge |
 |
There were many and varied pedestrian bridges crossing runs and streams |
 |
The trail and the river |
 |
Equisetum hyemale affine/ Common Scouring Rush |
 |
Next the trail followed a portion of the railroad tracks that lead to Conowingo Dam, a temporary line so that the Susquehanna Power Company could transport heavy equipment for building the dam, from its connection to the Pennsylvania Railroad |
 |
Trees are growing over the track |
 |
Frank's Pond has ice on the surface |
 |
A bridge crossing Fountain Run |
 |
Bahoukas Antique Mall (in c 1880 house) |
 |
PEZ collection (yes, there are prices, but it seemed to be more of a museum) |
 |
Having recently seen the movie Barbie, we do not remember 'unicef Barbie' |
 |
Beer tap handles are upstairs in the Beer MuZeum |
 |
Beer (and other alcohol-related) bottles and cans |
 |
Back downstairs for lunch boxes |
 |
Color Craft aluminum pitcher and tumblers |
 |
Uranium-oxide in vintage green glass reacts to the black light |
 |
Concord Point Park with Big Fish, School of Fish (2019, by Thomas Sterner) is a big fish made up of little fish |
 |
License-free fishing pier with sculptures of the Birds of the Chesapeake (2022, by Joseph E Stebbing, Jr) (KSS) |
 |
Gold Star Families Memorial (2017) is dedicated to families that have lost a loved one serving in the United States Armed Forces |
 |
The central feature of Concord Point Park is the lighthouse (1827, by John Donahoo), the oldest publicly accessible lighthouse on Chesapeake Bay |
 |
Across the street is the Keeper's House (1827, by John Donahoo) |
 |
Havre de Grace Maritime Museum (1987-1988) |
 |
The Bayou (1918-1919 as Hotel Bayou for those who came to hunt ducks or attend races at the Havre de Grace horse track) is now condominiums |
 |
The Hotel Bayou Baths (swimming pool and heating plant) is now the Decoy Museum (est 1986) |
 |
Flaps Down, Flats Bound (2021, by Matthew Harris Studio) |
 |
The Decoy Museum has hundreds of decoys, enough to pile in a jumble |
 |
Reed decoy (1997, by Joey Allan in American indigenous style) |
 |
Canvas decoy (by Nick Sapone in NC) of a swan |
 |
Standing decoy (c 1915, by Dave Watson) of a Lesser Yellowlegs |
Live decoys were also used, but were outlawed in 1935.
 |
The preeminent decoy maker in Havre de Grace was R Madison Mitchell, seen here in wax- figure form with several of his products |
 |
Decorative decoy, Loon with Babies (by Jeanne Hiss) |
 |
Display of Redhead drake decoys, this one by S Paul Gibson of Havre de Grace |
 |
Redhead drake decoy by R Madison Mitchell |
 |
Redhead drake decoy by Robert F McGaw, also of Havre de Grace |
 |
Life-size model of a sink box, a type of duck hunting raft with decoys attached; which was federally outlawed in 1935 and outlawed by states beginning in 1839 |
 |
Bushwhack boat was also used for duck hunting, surrounded by hundreds of floating decoys |
 |
Stained glass representations of decoys in the museum |
 |
Upstairs was the bulk of the permanent collection of decoys, displayed according to the maker |
 |
Several of the decoy makers were represented by wax figures; this is Captain Harry Jobes |
 |
This turns out to be the rear of the Havre de Grace Colored School Museum in a 1912 building used as a grammar school for African-American children; the brick addition (1930-1936) became the first high school in Havre de Grace for African-Americans |
Next: Baltimore and the Reginald F Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment