Thursday, August 29, 2019

Haverford, PA (8/29/2019)

Thursday, August 29, 2019
We had a lunch date with Kent's Chofu High School friend, Phil O, in Haverford, PA. Went a little early to check out significant sites, according to the Haverford Township Historical Society.
World War II Memorial (1946) on Old Manoa Road
Powder Mill Valley Monument (1947)
Stone wall remnants on Cobb Creek
Henry Lawrence Cabin (c 1709), the oldest free-standing
domestic building in the township, relocated here in 1961
Nitre Hall (1805), home of the powder master of the
Nitre Hall Powder Mills (established by Israel Whelen about 1800)
Nitre Hall was an important source of gunpowder during the War of 1812.
Nitre Hall
Moss and ferns (KSS)
Beechwood Bridge (1907, rehabilitated 1984) in the foreground,
with the hill beyond being the site of the former
Beechwood Amusement Park (open only 1907-1909)
Leedom/Dickinson Mansion (1800 L, 1725 middle, 1750 R) was
the residence of the owners of a sawmill on Cobbs Creek
St Denis Church (1947 for the first Delaware County
Roman Catholic Church, established in the 1820s) and Cemetery
Old Haverford Friends Meeting (established 1688, 1700 addition,
1688 log cabin replaced by main building in 1800),
is the oldest place of worship in Haverford Township
Mary Kelly Ott House (1820) was the home on a 124-acre farm,
belonging to the daughter of Dennis Kelly, an Irish immigrant
who ran the Castle Hill Textile Mills and also donated
the land for the St Denis Church and Cemetery
Craig Hall (1925, by Horace Trumbauer, in Georgian Revival style)
Federal School (1797)  was the first purpose-built school in
Haverford Township; it was originally a subscription/tuition school,
but in 1849 became a public school per the inscription over the porch
Federal School Outhouse
The school outhouse has been modernized as Haverford Township provides a "One-Room School Experience," where all fourth graders have an official but old-style school day as if in the year 1850.
Allgates Mansion (1911, by William Eyre), residence for banker
Horatio Gates Lloyd, Sr, who donated funds for the Haverford Free Library
Sign for the Merion Golf Club (founded 1896
by members of the Merion Cricket Club)
Merion Golf Club has an East Course (1912) and West Course (1914)
and later separated from the Cricket Club in 1942
The Merion Golf Club is known for the wicker baskets atop
the pins instead of flags, as seen here on the practice putting greens
Merion Cricket Club (founded 1865, clubhouse 1896, by Frank H Furness)
Cricket fields; the club also hosts lawn tennis, squash, and croquet
Dolobran Estate (1881, by Frank H Furness in Shingle style),
residence of shipping magnate Clement Griscom
Former Whitehall Apartments (1925-1926, by Lippincott & Schaef,
in California-Spanish Mission revival style)
Features include wrought iron balconies,
blue decorative tile with scenes of
Christopher Columbus, and red tile roof caps
Friends School Haverford (founded by Quakers in 1885) is the
oldest Quaker school in the Philadelphia metropolitan area
Millbrook Farm Main House (1850), residence of the Garrigues family
who operated saw and grist mills, and a brickyard
Whitby Hall (1754 in Kingsessing, moved here in 1922) was built for
the Philadelphia High Sheriff James Coultas
Next to Haverford College (founded 1833 by Quakers).
Founders Hall (1833) where the first students and faculty
lived, ate, and held classes until 1877
Former Ryan Gymnasium (1900 in Colonial Revival style) was
renovated in 2017 to become the Visual Culture, Arts, and Media facility
Comprising of the entire campus, the Haverford College Arboretum
(1834, by William Carvill) is the oldest college arboretum in the nation
Penn Treaty Elm (1915) is actually a descendant of the American Elm
under which William Penn and Lenape Chief Tamanend signed a
treaty of peace in 1683 in what is now Penn Treaty Park of Philadelphia
Barclay Hall (1877), a student residence hall
Carvill Arch (1834) is a remnant of a greenhouse that is dedicated
in memory of William Carvill, who not only designed the landscape
of the college and began the arboretum, but also introduced
the game of cricket to the Americas from his native England
We had to do a little "closed road" sign dodging.
Castle Bith (1693 R half of house, 1924 additions) was owned by
the Llewellyn family, Welsh Quakers, who named it for their birthplace
Finally, "The Grange" (1700, with multiple expansions) is located on one of the earliest land grants (1681) to Welsh Quaker Henry Lewis. Initially named Maen Coch/Red Stone, it changed names and owners over time. A later owner, John Ross, was host to many influential visitors including the Marquis de Lafayette, Robert Morris, Revolutionary War generals Knox and Mifflin, and George Washington. The story is that John Ross renamed the property The Grange in honor of his friend, the Marquis de Lafayette, whose large farm estate and chateau near Paris was named La Grange. Today The Grange is owned by the Township of Haverford, and is preserved as a historical site (representing the second half of the 19th century) and events venue.
Doorway decoration
Bird house
Massive trees; the one on the left is
a Pennsylvania State Champion beech tree
Wasp or hornet nest (KSS)
The Grange, now in Gothic Revival style
Carriage house and horse barn
A volunteer who was clearing weeds
let us enter to see the horse stalls
Two springhouses
Multi-seat outhouse
Working waterwheel, that was used to pump water into
cisterns on top of the main house, so that it had running water
The dairy barn of the estate is now St James Church
Lots of history in this town! Many thanks to Phil O for lunch and getting us here!

No comments: