Thursday, October 1, 2020
 |
Leaving Buffalo, NY, the hillsides were beginning to show autumn colors |
First stop in Elmira, NY:
 |
Quarry Farm was purchased by the Langdon family in 1869 as a summer home, but soon became the home of the sister of Olivia Langdon, the wife of Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain |
The Samuel Clemens family spent their summers here at
Quarry Farm, and their three daughters were born in Elmira, NY. Because his sister-in-law did not like cigar smoke, she had a separate octagonal study built for Clemens/Twain. (Or was it just to give him peace and quiet?!) It was located on a hilltop above Quarry Farm with a view of the Chemung River. Here Mark Twain wrote "the better part of three book-length travel narratives, two plays, dozens of stories and essays, and four novels, including
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."
 |
The Mark Twain Study (1874) is now located on the campus of Elmira College |
 |
View inside the Mark Twain Study
|
 |
Cowles Hall (1855, by Farrar) of Elmira College (founded 1855, as a college for women only, granting degrees equivalent to those given to men at the time) |
Olivia Langdon Clemens graduated from Elmira College in 1864.
 |
Gillette Memorial Hall (1892, for the music department)
|
 |
Entrance to Woodlawn Cemetery (1864) in Elmira, NY
|
 |
John Arnot, Sr grave marker
|
John Arnot immigrated from Scotland as a merchant. He later worked as a cashier at Chemung Canal Bank and 15 years later was the bank president. His son, John Arnot, Jr, served as mayor of Elmira, and also as a representative to the United States Congress, once as a nominee of both the Democratic and Republican parties.
 |
Memorial (1937) to Mark Twain and Ossip Gabrilowitsch, a pianist and composer, erected by Clara Clemens Gabrilowitsch |
 |
Samuel Langhorne Clemens grave marker (note cigar stub left on the gravestone) |
 |
Also buried at Woodlawn Cemetery is Hal Roach, one of the early film producers who was influenced by Mark Twain; Hal Roach worked with comedians Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, and the Our Gang kids |
 |
Directions (1977, by William Dickey King)
|
 |
Sculpture at the Arnot Art Museum (KSS)
|
 |
The grooves in the lawn show why you are encouraged to mow your lawn in a different pattern each time, but perhaps the art museum liked the artistic effect! |
We were able to visit the Arnot Art Museum for free through our membership with Tyler Arboretum and NARM/North American Reciprocal Museum Association.
 |
Arnot Art Museum (1833, in Greek Revival style as residence for John Arnot, Sr)
|
John Arnot's youngest son Matthias, a banker and philanthropist, began collecting art in 1869 by traveling regularly to Europe. In the 1890s he had a gallery constructed as an addition to the residence.
 |
This is a rare example of a 19C private picture gallery that retains its original art collection as displayed salon style |
 |
Skylight in the picture gallery
|
 |
The Marabou: At the Door of His House (by Jean-Léon Gérôme) (KSS)
|
 |
Apple Gatherers (c 1852, by Jean-François Millet) (KSS)
|
 |
On the Oise (c 1861, by Charles-François Daubigny) |
 |
A Mountain Stream (c 1860, by Gustave Courbet)
|
 |
A Flemish Fair or Village Landscape with Cattle Market (1613, by Jan Brueghel the Elder) (KSS) |
Since 1913 when the museum opened to the public, it has acquired further artworks including by American artists.
 |
Match (2003, by Wes Hempel)
|
 |
The Name is Never Given (2020, by Treacy Ziegler); Remember that in the Erie Art Museum we saw Ziegler's works made from letters of prisoners |
A few paintings from an exhibit showing American Art through the ages:
 |
Portrait of a Gentleman (William Thomas Parke) (c 1785, by Gilbert Stuart) |
 |
The Overturned Basket (1897, by George W Water) |
 |
Untitled (1957, by George Biddle) (KSS)
|
There is also sculpture:
 |
One of the Chevaux de Marly
|
 |
The other of the Chevaux de Marly (after the Chevaux de Marly/Horses of Marly (1745, by Guillaume Coustou) of which the originals are in the Louvre in Paris, France |
More in Elmira, NY:
 |
On the L: District Attorney's and Treasurer's Building (1836, by Pierce & Bickford in Greek Revival style); on the R: Chemung County Court House (1861-1862, by Horatio Nelson White in Italianate and Classical style)
|
 |
County's Clerk Office (1875) and Courthouse Annex (1895) |
 |
Chemung Valley History Museum (1832-1834, in Greek Revival style with Federal features, as the Chemung Canal Bank)
|
We were able to visit the Chemung Valley History Museum for free through our membership with Tyler Arboretum and NARM/North American Reciprocal Museum Association.
 |
Two vaults were added in 1903 (by Pierce & Bickford)
|
 |
The original vault is seen among the museum displays
|
 |
Shirt cuff autographed by Ernie Davis, who attended Elmira Free Academy where he received two All American honors in football; he continued at Syracuse University where he became the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy |
 |
The "Big Horn" Mammoth Tusk represents one found by the Algonquin along the banks of the river they named Chemung, meaning "place of the big horn" |
 |
Historic photos included the Mark Twain Study in its original location above Quarry Farm (KSS)
|
 |
Photo of Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain in his study (KSS)
|
 |
On the L: Silk dress (c 1885) worn by Olivia Langdon Clemens was colored by the first synthetic aniline dye, called mauveine; on the R: Strapless silk dress dyed with an 1870s aniline green dye that replaced the only bright green dye available earlier: arsenic |
 |
The current Chemung Canal Trust Company Main Bank (1970, by Haskell, Conner & Frost in Modern style...)
|
Next: Bethlehem, PA II.
No comments:
Post a Comment